Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Stay by Nicola Griffith

I don't remember who recommended this book to me. If it was someone out there, please let me know and I'll be sure to note it here.

Stay by Nicola Griffith is the first book I've read from this author. After I read it, I found out it was the second in a series. Ack!

This book centers on Aud (rhymes with shroud) Torvington and her grief after her partner gets killed. At first I was confused as to what was going on (probably wouldn't have been if I had read the first one FIRST) but quickly got hooked into the book. Aud is rebuilding the cabin in North Carolina that her grandfather left her and has been in solitude for months. A good friend comes to the cabin asking for her help which she isn't inclined to do. But the memory of her partner pushes her to stay connected to her friends and she embarks on a unique journey. The book is not a mystery but is more of a thriller as you see the world from Aud's very hurt perspective. By the end of the book I had grown to love her flaws as well as her actions.

I believe Aud is a bodyguard who kills when needed but am not completely sure because it was just alluded to in this book. I definitely recommend this book if you like murder mysteries/thrillers but recommend you read the first one The Blue Place first. I plan on getting that into the pile to read.

No comments: