Friday, June 20, 2008

Dominion by Randy Alcorn

This is the second book I've read by Randy Alcorn. The first one, Deadline, was for one of my book clubs. Loved it! My comments on it were:
Very good book! Interesting look/commentary on the newspaper business. Unique take on what heaven is like - but in a good way. Mystery. Deadline focuses on Jake, a newspaper columnist, and how he reacts to the death of his two closest friends.

Dominion uses the same characters as Deadline, but different ones have have the main story line. Summary from Amazon: A shocking murder drags black newspaper columnist Clarence Abernathy into the disorienting world of inner-city gangs and racial conflict. In a desperate hunt for answers to the violence (and to his own struggles with race and faith), Clarence forges an unlikely partnership with redneck detective Ollie Chandler. Despite their differences, Clarence and Ollie soon find themselves sharing the same mission: victory over the forces of darkness vying for dominion. Filled with insight — and with characters so real you’ll never forget them — Dominion is a dramatic story of spiritual searching, racial reconciliation, and hope.

This book really makes me think. About racial differences even today. About how slavery still affects us today. About how I treat others of all races. About heaven. About God as my Master. And God as my friend. And God as my teacher. It is a good kind of thinking - one where I will grow from it. I love it when a fiction book, one that tells the story so well, also has in it the ability to affect change.

Dominion is a good story. The characters are well-developed. The story line is intricate and believable. There are multiple relationships that have to be dealt with - just like real life.

I recommend reading both Dominion and Deadline. Since they focus on different characters within the group, if you can't read Deadline first, it should be okay. But as I'm a serial reader, it would of course be best to read them in order. I'm excited now to read the third book about this group of folks - Deception.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love his books too. You should try his non fiction Heaven:)