Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Widgets

From The Boston Bibliophile - Blog Widgets. Do you use them? Do you have them on your blog? Do you know what I'm talking about? :-) A blog widget is that list of books "From my LibraryThing" and such, that you'll sometimes see on someone's sidebar. If you use it, do all of your books show up or do you have it set to only show certain books? Do you have a search widget, which would allow your blog readers to search your library? Have you ever made a photomosaic of your book covers? You can find widgets and photomosaic information on the "Tools" tab in LibraryThing.

I do use a Library Thing widget on my blog! It's over there on the left. Under the list of blogs I enjoy. Did you look? If you are reading this in email or a reader, you'll have to click to my blog. C'mon, you know you want to see what I am talking about!

It's the listing of my most recent books. I originally had it set up to show all the books I've read this year, but now that I am almost to 100, I thought the list was way too long. I couldn't show off other things over there that I wanted folks to see. So now I just highlight the latest 10 that I've completed, searching on my 2008 tag.

Does anyone ever look at it? I have no idea. I've wondered about that. I've also wondered about whether I should have the book covers there too - especially since I went down to just the latest 10 books. Might be more colorful to look at.

I've not played with the photomosaic feature, but I think it looks cool. I may just have to honor everyone with my mosaic some day soon!

Check out how other folks use the widgets! And let me know if you want me to change or add anything to mine.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele, I don't see your widget! The only LT widget I have on my blog is the Early Reviewer one I made.

Wendi said...

Morning Michele! I sometimes think my widgets are more useful for my own use! :)

Wendi

Here's my Thinger!

jlshall said...

I have to say honestly that I'd probably be more likely to look at a widget that shows book covers than one that just lists titles. I do like the look of your blog, though - it manages to be colorful without looking too cluttered or busy.

Cathy said...

I've scrolled up and down and up again, and I can't see your LT widget, Michele. I know that I do look at the things on other bloggers' sidebars, and I'm more likely to pay attention to a widget with book covers than just titles.

Meghan said...

I think covers might spice up your widget! They would probably fit on your sidebar, too. It's cool to have only the ones you've recently read, I'm wondering if I should have another one or something similar because I like the idea.

- medieval bookworm

Michele said...

Onion and Cathy - it's the list of my most recent reads.

Wendi - I really don't ever use it. I just saw it on other blogs and thought it looked cool. But I tend to just go straight to my LT library if I want to know something.

Joy & Meghan - changing it to show the covers! I like the look!

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Ruth King said...

I always look at LT widgets when someone has them on their blog. The cover widgets really catch my eye.

Kitty said...

I use the random cover widget from my entire library. I've never used the photomosaic thing but might have to check it out now. I don't know about other readers, but I always look at peoples Library Thing widget.