Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Stuff

From The Boston Bibliophile - LT Things- t-shirts, bags,cue cats- are you into the "stuff"? Do you use a cuecat to enter your books, or do you enter them manually? What do you think of the stuff?

As you know, I love LibraryThing! I love that it's so easy to use and can do so many things. I think all that stuff - the t-shirts, bags, etc is fun to have and would make great conversation starters out in public. But. I can't see spending my money on it. This feeling is not limited to LibraryThing for me. I don't buy the t-shirts or items from places we visit or from other fun things I enjoy. I didn't even buy any t-shirts from the kids school or sports teams until last year when it would help pay for my daughter's uniform.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if you want to buy me something from LibraryThing (or the Colts, Buckeyes, scrapbooking, camping, being a mom....), I would use it. But I'm not going to buy it for myself.

9 comments:

jlshall said...

I always used to come home from vacation trips with a couple of souvenir T-shirts, but I've kicked that habit. Yes, if someone gave me an LT "thing," I'd use it, but don't think I'd spend money on any of it myself.

Passages to the Past said...

I feel the same way! I love LT, but not so much that I want to wear a t-shirt telling the world!

Michele said...

I wish I had enough money that I could buy these things because it is fun to talk about. But I can't imagine how much money we'd have to have in the budget before I'd let souvenir type items like this to be added.

Anonymous said...

I love LT, too, but really don't want to wear it's logo around, either.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I don't buy logo'd souvenirs. In fact, I'm annoyed that LW12 wants to shop at Aeropostale ... everything in that store is branded. She shops with her own money, if the shirt isn't too tight or offensive (language, graphics), I feel I have to let her advertise, but she knows my feeling about it!

(yes, off the LT topic, but related still somehow!)

Meghan said...

I do like that souvenir type stuff but I never buy it for myself either. I don't even have a sweatshirt from my undergrad university because I just thought it was crazy to pay $40-50 for it. I never understand how other college/grad students can walk around in various branded items - how can they afford it??

I'd like them as gifts, though.

- medieval bookworm

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I like the souvenir type stuff but we only buy it if the money is going back into a specific thing, like local museums or wildlife parks. Most of the LT swag is cute, but I would much prefer to buy from my local library - the LT messenger bag is the same style as the one I bought from my library. I guess for me it is important to know that my money is going towards a cause rather than a corporation/business.

Julie said...

Ok, what is 'cuecat'? I am too lazy to go to LT and try to find out!

Wendi said...

When I was a kid, I liked nothing better than to wear a neat logo'd t-shirt. Now, I prefer to wear more stylish clothing. :)
The same goes for other logo'd items - unless I have a strong feeling about a company/team, I will generally pass as they usually cost more and I don't need them.

~ Wendi