Friday, November 14, 2008

Review: The Brass Verdict by Michael Connolly

I am a HUGE fan of Michael Connolly. I have read every book he's written and just thoroughly enjoy them all! Harry Bosch is one of my favorite characters - he's complex, real, flawed, has a strong sense of right/wrong. Mr. Connolly's stand-alone books are just as fun and exciting as the different series. So when I heard this summer that he had a new book coming out, I was very excited! I tried to win an ARC of the book from various places, but to no avail.

In October, Miriam from Hachette Books hosted an Blog Talk Radio chat with author Michael Connolly. You can listen to it here. I couldn't attend and in my whining about not attending and not being able to get a copy of the book, Miriam took pity on me. She sent me the book! I just love Miriam and Hachette Books!!!

Okay, I want to say the love fest is over. But it's not. The Brass Verdict is as good, if not better, than Mr. Connolly's previous books. In it, we have lawyer Mickey Haller who we met in The Lincoln Lawyer. We also have the best detective, Harry Bosch. The story is written from Mickey's point of view, so it was very neat to read about Harry rather than be in his head.

Here's the summary from Michael Connolly's website: Things are finally looking up for defense attorney Mickey Haller. After two years of wrong turns, Haller is ready to go back to the courtroom. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his biggest case yet: the defense of Walter Elliott, a prominent studio executive accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next.

Enter Harry Bosch. Determined to find Vincent's killer, he is not opposed to using Haller as bait. But as danger mounts and the stakes rise, these two loners realize their only choice is to work together.


This is definitely a top read for me. The characters are so unique and interesting. The story keeps moving, keeps you on your toes and engaged completely.

I am definitely a serial reader. If you are like me, start with Michael Connolly's first book The Black Echo and start reading. Or if you want a shorter series, you can start with The Lincoln Lawyer. Both series are great. I believe this would also be fine as a stand-alone book. But this is such a great series, I promise you'll then want to go back and start at the beginning.

Go get a copy today!

Rating: 5/5 stars

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I actually got to attend that Blog Talk Radio chat and found Michael Connelly to be fascinating even though I haven't read any of his work. His books sound right up my alley, though. I'll have to start with The Lincoln Lawyer.

Michele said...

Love your enthusiasm!! It's catching! (I do enjoy Michael Connolly though, so I completely understand!)

Shana said...

Michele - So glad this did not disappoint!

Shana
Literarily