Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Sunday Salon: I'm late cause I needed a nap!



My girl turned 12 today! Man, I am getting old! My mom always said she got older twice a year - her birthday and mine (I'm the oldest, not the worst). Even though mine and my girl's are only two weeks apart, I understand what my mom meant!

We had a party for her the past two days. Figured it would be okay to do a little more than usual because this will be her last birthday party with these folks (moving 3 hours away as soon as this dumb house sells). We started out at the pool at the local gym. They have a kid pool with slides, water sprayers, and such that you'd find in a community pool in the summer. We started there so the boys could join us. Only two did. Sigh... But the girls had fun too.

We then took the girls home for a night of clay making, coloring, laughing, singing, eating, dancing, pillow fighting, stair surfing (shh...don't tell their moms), and movies. I went to bed at 1 am thinking they were settling down - half were asleep and the other half watching a movie. Apparently after the movie the party started up again until 4 am! Glad I was two floors up and didn't hear that! I still needed a nap today.

Gotta brag on my two favorite clay pieces - one I made (the Santa) and one a girl made (the frog) that I just love. There were quite a few others that were so cool. Very talented girls!

I did a little bit of reading this week. Still lower production. I think I am feeling like I need to catch up on my ARCs and books sent to me to review yet sometimes those are harder to get through. Course I've been in a little bit of a funk (anyone want to buy a summer home in Indiana???) and that slows down my reading a bit too. I end up staring at the computer screen doing nothing. LOL But I am perking up a bit I think.

I finished and reviewed The Brass Verdict by Michael Connolly. You can read my love fest with the book, the author and Miriam of Hachette Books. I finished Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. This is an ARC that comes out in January. I will post my review later this week. I am currently reading Triptych by Karin Slaughter. You can read about her other books I've enjoyed.

Not sure what I'll read next. I've got a couple of book tours coming up plus there are a ton of library books I have to read.

I am currently at 91 books read for 2008. My goal has been to break 100. I should be able to do that. I also signed up for a 100+ challenge for 2009 at J.Kaye's Book Blog. I will probably sign up for her 2009 library challenge later this week.

Next weekend is the Ohio State vs Michigan football game. My man and my girl will be going to cheer on our Buckeyes! Be sure to cheer for the scarlet and gray!

Hope you had a good weekend. Tell me about it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

12 years old! That means there will be a teen-ager and hormones in your house a year from now. Watch out! Sounds like a great birthday weekend. Good luck on selling your house - hopefully the market will pick up soon.

stacey @ bookthirty said...

Ok, that frog is incredibly cute! I had to chuckle over your need for a nap - that is exactly the reason I didn't get any reading done yesterday AT ALL. I traded that time for a lovely, cozy nap. And happy birthday to your daughter. My oldest two girls are 12 & 14. It's an "adventure," to be sure. :)

Kristie said...

I am sure your team will win... but I will still be sporting my Michigan gear. What a horrible season, but it always great to beat OSU! Plus Michigan State needs an OSU loss, and while I am a Michigan girl through and through, I much rather see State win the Big Ten over OSU.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

It sounds like you helped your daughter have a GREAT birthday celebration! We love sculpey clay around here :)

Shana said...

Sounds like a very fun birthday. Isn't it great thinking of ways to make their special day fantastic?

I didn't know you were moving!!! Good luck selling the house!

Shana
Literarily