Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tuesday Thingers: Book stores

From The Boston Bibliophile : Favorite bookstores. What's your favorite bookstore? Is it an online store or a bricks-and-mortar store? How often do you go book shopping? Is your favorite bookstore (or bookstores) listed as a favorite in LT? Do you attend events at local bookstores? Do you use LT to find events?

It's hard to define 'favorite' for me as I don't buy alot of books, preferring to use the library. But, of course, I do buy some books.

Is my favorite book store where I buy most of my books? Then it would have to be Amazon. And that's because it's easiest. I can do it from home (not having to remember to go there and make the time to go) and have it delivered here (without having to remember to go pick it up). I usually do the free shipping option when possible so that makes it the cheapest option out there most of the time too.

Or is my favorite book store where I go shopping locally for book gifts and attend some events? That would be Viewpoint Books. They always have great books in stock, wonderful sales people to help you find what you want, even if you don't know what you want, and cool toys that are book related that always is a hit with kids.

Or another option for my favorite book store is the one where my husband and I go on dates. That would be Barnes and Noble. It's about an hour from here but it's a great part of date nights for us. We'll go out to dinner, chat, and then spend an hour or so at the book store browsing independently. I know, not the most romantic for a date night. But it's fun for us to be there without the kids. We talk about the books we find and we both 'recharge' (him with the comics section, me mysteries/thrillers and new fiction). We generally leave there with a long list of books I want to read (and request from the library) and a book or two for me or the kids. And, of course, some comics!

So, not sure which is my favorite book store, but they each play an important role in my life. What is your favorite book store? I'd love to hear what you like and why.

And check out the main post to see what others choose as their favorite book stores.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, it's Amazon. The only local good place is a used bookstore close by. Most of the bookstores locally have closed.

My Tuesday Thingers is here.

Anonymous said...

I saw a tagline for an ebay member store. "Shop Naked". Since then, whenever anyone talks about online shopping being convinient, that tag pops into my head. Amazon.com - Shop NAKED! shivers

A date at the bookstore... That is really cool. Have you ever independently shopped only to find out you've picked the same book? That would be kinda of sweet. :-D

jlshall said...

How neat! My husband and I have always liked going on "dates" at bookstores, too - both before we were married and since. It's a great way to keep up with what's being published, and to share opinions and thoughts about our reading. Unfortunately, it's also a great way for me to spend way too much money on books!

Anonymous said...

Date night at the bookstore, I'm all over it!

A couple reasons it appeals to me - as you said, shopping without kids is bliss. Also, it reminds me of when we were dating (pre-marriage) and all the fun that went along with that stage.

koolaidmom - shop naked! Now you're ruined online shopping for me :)

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Mine's Amazon too. It's just the cheapest :) Gotta love that.

Anonymous said...

I use the library more than bookstores, too. I can't afford to buy all the books I read plus I wouldn't have room to store them.