Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stand up to Cancer and Alzheimers

This isn't about books but is even more important. I was watching The View this morning (rare morning tv viewing for me) and saw two very important items I wanted to pass on to everyone.

StandUp2Cancer is a group that is working a grass-roots movement to raise money for all kinds of cancer research. They have a great set of goals but the best part is that they are working for money for all cancers and the research they are looking at may cover multiple types versus organ specific.

They said that in our lifetimes, 1 out of every 2 men will have some sort of cancer. And that 1 out of every 3 women will. It's amazing!

You can donate money or time to the cause on the website. I have 'bought' stars with my donation for a couple of my loved ones that have had cancer. You can donate as little as a dollar.

I know we all have money issues and have 'favorite' charities that we donate to when we can. But we can all afford a dollar - I'll have one less Diet Pepsi today instead. Go to StandUp2Cancer.org to find out more and donate. Also there will be a special with a bunch of celebrities on all three main networks (ABC, NBC, and CBS) on Sept. 5th. And you may see a public service announcement with a ton of celebrities for this as well.

The other important item on the show was a documentary about Alzheimer's called The Forgetting that will be on PBS on Sunday, August 3rd at 9pm ET. Look at the PBS website here for more information about the show and when it will be on your channel.

1 comment:

2 kids...3 martinis said...

Thanks for the info...I will definitely be checking out the "Forgetting". My grandfather died as a result of Alzheimers so it will be especially pigoiant to me.
Thanks Michele.