Monday, July 14, 2008

Book ratings & rankings

I have been thinking that I need to come up with some sort of a rating system for the books I review. Saying I enjoyed it or I recommend it can mean the same for a book that I just liked or one that I loved and you HAVE to read, depending on how I say it, ya know? And there are differences too between what is a light, 'beach' read or a wonderful, made-me-think but in a good way book. I'm rambling here, but I think (at least I hope) I'm making some sense. LOL

So I've been doing some research (read: surfing the internet!) and trying to see what others use to rate books, hoping that will help me come up with what makes sense for me. One item that I think should be included is whether I lose myself in the book or if I'm thinking about how I'll review it the whole way through. A couple of times in the past weeks, I've wondered what I would say about the book on this blog versus just enjoying the book. To me, that says that the book didn't draw me in enough, even if I liked it overall. I've seen numbering systems (1-5, 1-10, even 1-100!), I've seen ones where different aspects of the books are discussed (no dry spots, made me think, laughed out loud).

So, I think I am going to do a combination of a numbering system and also have questions that I have to answer in my review. Hopefully this will help me categorize the book better, write better reviews, and help you decide whether you want to add this book to your 'TBR' list.

The numbering system will be 1-5 to match my library. It's also a take-off of Amazon's rating system.
1 - Did not like it at all.
2 - Not good.
3 - It's ok, I liked it.
4 - I really liked it.
5 - LOVED it! Top read!

But I want to also answer the following questions in my review:
- Are the characters real/believable, including the supporting characters?
- Did I lose myself into the book?
- Did I feel the emotion the author was going for (laughed, cried, worried, etc) or did I just think something like - "I see where I was supposed to think that was funny".
- Do I want to read the next bit of the story, the next in the series or what happened to the characters next, even if there is no sequel?

I'd love some feedback if this is enough, too much, dorky, etc. I assume the list and my ability to write a good review will evolve (improve) over time, but wanted to share where I am starting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. I came up with a system because it didn't seem fair to review without one. I had to have a 1 - 5 because it need to match LibraryThing, Amazon, etc.

Back when I was deciding, I ran upon some funny ones. :)