Monday, September 8, 2008

Read aloud books

I always loved reading aloud to my kids when they were little. As they've gotten older (they are 11 and 8 now!) and became readers, we transitioned to reading chapter books together. Our two favorites are The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.




We tend to read books together in spurts - the beginning of summer is a big time to start. We'll hunker down in the bed or on the couch, each kid taking a side. I'll read, they'll lay on me and we get some good talking and cuddling in. Unfortunately, we'll usually read one or two books and then lose the habit. We'll get interested in other things. Or our lives get busier. (Or I get wonky - maybe we've stopped a few times because I've gotten crabby and need space.)

Aside: One issue with the reading is that when I read out loud, I get sleepy! I start yawning, want to sink down into the couch or bed and just go to sleep. It's been an issue since the kids were little and I even noticed it last weekend reading to my 2 year-old nephew! So, we tend to do the reading the half hour before bed and then I go to bed early! LOL

With all the stress of the move, waiting on the house to sell, Dad being in a different state during the week, etc. I am thinking it's time to start another book or two. I think it would be good for all three of us to spend some time together at the end of the day. Maybe this will help us all get to bed a bit earlier and more relaxed.

But I'm not sure what book to pick. Do you read with your older kids? What have been some of your favorites? Any good ideas for me to pick up at the library this week?

4 comments:

Traci said...

I read both of those aloud to son (who was reading independently at the time), and I loved them both (Edward Tulane is one of my favorites - I blubbered all through the last pages, but it's such a lovely story).

We've also really enjoyed Because of Winn Dixie, Holes, anything by Roald Dahl, and Flat Stanley just to name a few. Oh, and I just read (not aloud) The Wooden Mile by Chris Mould, which I think would make a great read-aloud. It's got short chapters (great for if you get sleepy!).

Michele said...

Thanks Traci! Both my kids read Winn-Dixie in 2nd grade and we've already read Holes. I will check out Roald Dahl and The Wooden Mile, though. Thanks!

Ruth King said...

I actually read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe aloud to my mother a couple years ago. It was a wonderful experience. She works at a computer all day and suffers from too much eyestrain to read at the end of the day.

Michele said...

Ruth - what a neat thing you did for your mother. Thanks for sharing.