Friday, December 26, 2008

Review: The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker

Scheduled to be published in early January, Tiffany Baker's The Little Giant of Aberdeen County kept me intrigued throughout.

Summary (from the author's website):When Truly Plaice—part Behemoth, part Witch, part Cinderella—is born larger than life into a small-minded town, her birth rocks the pillars of tiny Aberdeen, New York, and breaks her family into smithereens. Truly spends a painful childhood in the shadow of her older sister Serena’s beauty and is teased mercilessly for her enormous physique. But when Serena unexpectedly leaves her son in Truly’s care, she must become the woman of a house she did not choose. Her brother-in-law, Doctor Robert Morgan, was one of her childhood tormentors and, as an adult, subjects her to brutal criticism, cruel medical testing, and degradation to the breaking point. It’s only when Truly finds her calling helping townspeople with herbal remedies that she begins to regain control of her life. However, unearthed family secrets will lead to a devastating betrayal that will break the Morgan family apart forever, and as Truly reckons with her own demons, she must come to terms with her role in Aberdeen’s destiny and the possibility of love in unexpected places.

I read the book in amazement at the way their father and the town treated Truly and her sister so differently. I was disappointed but could easily see it happening. It was a unique look at how the world sometimes uses exterior beauty and their 'lot in life' to determine a person's 'worth'.

Ms. Baker is an awesome writer. She was able to portray Truly's feelings of inadequacy, sadness and bits of joy so accurately. With her words, she drew amazing portraits of Truly's friends and her enemies. I am not one who loves lots of description but I didn't feel 'overwhelmed' with words. Rather I felt like I was just hanging out with Truly seeing what she saw, feeling what she felt.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed a bit by the end - didn't wrap up some questions I had. But it answered others. This is one I want to chat with someone about! I think it would make a great book club book - lots to discuss!

Thanks to Miriam Parker and Hachette Books for sending me this lovely book to read!

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My copy of this arrived on Christmas Eve - it was like an early Christmas present! I'm glad to see it's good.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! A friend of mine liked it too!