Thursday, September 10, 2009

Review: Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

Last month, I received a copy of Chelsea Cain's newest book, Evil at Heart, from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. It's the third in a thriller/serial killer series that starts with Heartsick. Given my issues with reading books out of order, I just couldn't read the third without going back. So, back I went.

And I am SO glad I did!!!

Summary: Portland detective Archie Sheridan spent years tracking Gretchen Lowell, a beautiful and brutal serial killer. In the end, she was the one who caught him…and tortured him…and then let him go. Why did Gretchen spare Archie’s life and then turn herself in? This is the question that keeps him up all night—and the reason why he has visited Gretchen in prison every week since.

Meanwhile, another series of murders is tearing up the Portland streets. Archie seems to be getting closer to solving this high-profile case…until he finds himself in a fatal collision course with the killer—one that inevitably leads him back to his former captor. Gretchen may be the only one who can help do justice. The only thing she can’t do, this time, is save Archie’s life.


Serial killers/thrillers like this have got to be my favorite genre of books. I've read ALOT of them. So when I find a book that is different than anything I've read in the past, I am Hooked! That's the case with Heartsick.

The story is told in forms of current time with Gretchen in prison along with flashbacks from when she held Archie prisoner and tortured him. There's just enough detail of the torture to keep you on the edge of your seat but it's not too much to gross you out. The anguish Archie feels, on many levels, combined with the psycho Gretchen's weird emotions leads to lots of interesting moments!

Also in the story are Henry, Archie's partner and Susan Ward, a reporter. They are both very wrapped into the story, into Archie and catching the bad guys. Great characters all around.

Can you tell I really liked this book? I am so glad I read it. Look for my review on the second in the series, Sweetheart, tomorrow.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We've missed you, but know that life has been busy. I'm so glad you discovered a series to love. I love thrillers too!

Michele said...

Hi Kathy! I've missed all my book friends too. I've been busy but that's not really the excuse. I haven't been reading! Not sure why - not the busy-ness as that's never stopped me before. So attempting to get back into the groove with my favorite genres and see if that gets me going again. 2008 - 100 books, 2009 so far - only 32! At this rate I'll be lucky to get to 50!

Julie said...

She lives!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Welcome Back! Glad you enjoyed this book. I've enjoyed the sewries, and currently waiting for my turn at the library for the newest one Evil at Heart.

Great review Michele!

Michele said...

LOL Julie!

Diane - I read it! It's AWESOME!!! My review will be in a day or so. Then I might share it. :-)