Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Review: The Cold Room by J.T. Ellison

I have to thank my sister for finding The Cold Room by J.T. Ellison at her library for me. My library did not have a copy of it nor was it on order. I couldn't believe it! They had copies of the first books in this series so naturally I expected to see the fourth Taylor Jackson book on order at the very least. Hmmm... I hope they fix that issue because until then the readers in my area are missing out!

Summary: He can truly love her only once her heart stops.

Homicide detective Taylor Jackson thinks she's seen it all in Nashville—from the Southern Strangler to the Snow White Killer. But she's never seen anything as perverse as The Conductor. Once his victim is captured, he contains her in a glass coffin, slowly starving her to death. Only then does he give in to his attraction.

When he's finished, he creatively disposes of the body by reenacting scenes from famous paintings. And similar macabre works are being found in Europe. Taylor teams up with her fiancé, FBI profiler Dr. John Baldwin, and New Scotland Yard detective James "Memphis" Highsmythe, a haunted man who has eyes only for Taylor, to put an end to this horror.

Has the killer gone international with his craft? Or are there two "artists," competing to create the ultimate masterpiece?


When I got ready to read on Saturday (read it all on Saturday - didn't get one other thing done that day! LOL) I tried to remember the earlier books. As we've discussed previously on this blog, my memory sucks. So, it was more my 'impressions' of the books. And those were that the mystery and the serial killers and the detecting in these books is AWESOME. It's intense, exciting, interesting, detailed but not overwhelming, great! But my impression was also that the relationship piece between Taylor and Baldwin isn't as great as in other similar series.

Well, the story definitely is great once again. Creepy, yucky and weird. Intense, detailed, scary, yet fascinating. I just kept turning the pages wanting to know what they would find, what the killer would do, who would end up being involved. I do not know how Ms. Ellison can have all this in her head and not be looney! But I love it.

As for the relationship piece - it was better than my 'impression' memory. Taylor is working to repair her status at work. Baldwin is working with the fellow from London and intersection of all of them within the work of catching the killer... well, it made me want to slap someone! But that was a good thing.

I recommend reading this series if you are interested in murder mysteries. It's a great series. Start with All the Pretty Girls.

Rating: 5 stars!

1 comment:

Tribute Books said...

will add to my pile, thanks!